Day 15

At our morning meeting today a RIT student came in to present his senior project. He’s studying different environmental factors that can affect OCR (optical character recognition) so he can use a neural network to predict whether a photo can be processed by OCR before it’s actually done (so you can save time if your photo isn’t good enough). It was pretty interesting.

I spent my entire day debugging. I left yesterday with the algorithm outputting that there were zero files in the place that I specified, but I wrote additional code today that made it work. Then I had issues accessing the actual training set because the data augmentation wasn’t working, but eventually I got that to work too. I fixed some other small errors and tried to run it, but I guess it was too much to handle because the computer froze. Hoping it was just processing things slowly, I went to lunch. 

During lunch I went to the last seminar, which was pretty long (1 hr 25 min) but really interesting. It was on imaging historical documents- a lot of ancient texts are written over even older writing that has been scraped off or erased, and it’s amazing how they were able to “cancel out” the overlying words and turn the faint, practically invisible background writing into such sharp and easy-to-read text. We got to see several imaging results from ancient documents like the Archimedes Palimpsest and the Martellus Map. 

When I got back the program had been stopped due to its unresponsiveness, but the internet browser, etc. had crashed so I ended up restarting the computer, after which everything seemed fine. I then ran into another problem because the tensor sizes aren’t matching in dimension 2, which is apparently a difficult one to solve because it can be any small error within the model code. So I tried isolating different parts and testing them... it’s strange because the sizes are off by one, which I think could possibly be a rounding error somewhere. Changing the padding and strides affects the sizes, but I don’t think that’s the root of the problem. I got dimension 2 to match, but now dimension 3 doesn’t match (19 and 23). I might look into it this weekend. Even though it sounds frustrating, debugging is the more fun part of the process since it involves more problem-solving.  

Overall it was a pretty quiet day- either the computer towers were quieter or I’ve just become immune to the incessant humming because they didn't even bother me today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 30 (Last Day!!)

Problem Statement

Day 28