Day 9

Today we went to Jocelyn and Hannah’s lab and saw the GRIT machine (goniometer at RIT). Their project involves comparing wet and dry sieving techniques and analyzing grain size distribution.

As for me, I finished my program!! I played around some more with the hyperparameters and network structure, and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I don't think anyone wants to see all 50 epochs, so here are the "highlights" which were printed at the end (the final program doesn't have these long decimals).

Best Training Loss: 0.18281204998493195
Best Training Accuracy: 0.724375
Best Validation Loss: 0.1286986619234085
Best Validation Accuracy: 0.8325

After that I worked on the testing code. At first I tried to loop over the testing Data Loader, but I couldn't open and print the images since they were already transformed. So I decided to use the files themselves- I made three more directories for the three folders in the testing folder, looped through them to get the files, and then looped through the files to open the images and save them for later. Then I could put them through the data augmentation process and input them into the model (which outputs an index corresponding to a class label). The last thing was to print out the photos with the labels which wasn't too bad either. 

Then the actual testing of course, and as promised, the results- the algorithm was able to correctly label 12 out of the 15 photos, so an overall accuracy of 80%. I’ve included some of the correctly labelled outputs below.


Here are the three that it got wrong:

(Actual: Venturia... an understandable mistake I suppose)
(Actual: Venturia, although it has small dots like cedar-apple rust)

(Actual: Cedar, not sure why it got this one wrong...)

It’s interesting to note that it identified all the healthy plants correctly.

After I finished all of that, I started writing a summary (to add to my summary paper from last week, although this exercise wasn’t image-to-image translation). My advisors need the weekend to prepare the code/project that they want me to work on, so I guess I’ll just be finishing up my summary and researching my topic tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 30 (Last Day!!)

Problem Statement

Day 28