Day 5

First Friday! 

Today I finished the remaining articles on convolutional neural networks (CNNs). They were especially useful in further understanding gradient descent and backpropagation.

I also started working on the problem that the professor visiting from Cornell left yesterday. My advisors completed it already so I’m just doing it as an exercise to get used to the coding. I'm using a CNN (specifically VGG-19, but I think next I'm going to learn how to code the network) to classify images of leaves as either being healthy or having one of two diseases. It has been a good learning experience so far since it’s one thing to understand the concepts and another to apply them.

My actual project is going to be modifying code my advisors have written for image-to-image translation in an attempt to make it more accurate. I’m glad we figured it out so that I can finish my problem statement.

Other than that, the rest of the interns and I went to a seminar during lunch about hyperspectral imaging on historical documents, specifically the Gough Map of Britain. It was really interesting to hear about the ways they could interpret the different inks, etc. and connect that to the intentions and actions of the cartographers centuries ago.

Looking forward to another week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 30 (Last Day!!)

Problem Statement

Day 28