Day 10

Today we visited the MRI lab where Akul is working, and he explained to us the EPR machine and how it can be used to determine different materials.

As I mentioned yesterday, I didn’t have anything definite to work on since I finished my leaf classification program. My advisors actually didn’t think I was coming today, so I didn’t have the laptop to use in the morning. Once they arrived I was able to finish typing my summary with the results from the program. Besides that, I read some more about machine learning and image-to-image translation, and also looked at some code for generative adversarial networks.

In the time between our arrivals, I ended up going to the Remote Sensing Lab and helping Jocelyn and Hannah with their sieving. They have to make a lot of weight measurements and use the sieve shaker on the 4th floor lab. It was a fun change from my usual work, although an unfortunate hornet situation made us retreat back to their lab downstairs.

I also went to the seminar during lunch and learned about space weather and coronal mass ejections (which often follow solar flares). I had heard about the Carrington event before, but it was really interesting to hear about its effects on the telegraph lines, as well as learn about the current need to predict future space weather events. The speaker also talked about using neural networks to make the predictions, so it was cool learning about an application of what I've been working on in my lab.

My advisor also suggested that I relabel all the leaf image files if I wanted something to do, so I did. It was a really simple code compared to the leaf classification, so you can imagine my confusion when I opened up the first folder and it was empty! (I didn’t know that I had to specify a destination for the files). Luckily they hadn't disappeared into the void, but I had comically sent all 880 photos into the main folder, and had to undergo the tedious process of moving them back. On the bright side they were relabeled. It took a bit of time so while I was waiting I went to an art show being held in the Booth building by a RIT portfolio camp. Not only did I get to support and see some amazing artwork from some incredibly talented friends, but there were also eclairs. 

I'm looking forward to starting my project on Monday! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 30 (Last Day!!)

Problem Statement

Day 28